How can you be pro-active in the marketing world as an author? Well, there are a few ways.
1) Ads. Don't wait to get sales or build an audience organically, get creative with advertisements. You can advertise on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other websites.
2) Google Adwords. This is a very powerful tool. Look into this, get comfortable with it, and reap the rewards.
3) Cafepress. This is where you can add to your income by selling merchandise in an easy way with an almost endless choice of products.
4) Business Cards. Create professional, bold, eye-catching, and informative business cards. Have a few on you at all times. Hand them out. Get 'pro-active'!
5) Hire a Marketer. Don't know where to start? There are professionals that do! Perform thorough research on your marketer, and execute a trial and error system to elimate any budget wasting.
No go, soar to new levels of marketing!
Good luck from Thomas Author Services!